Application and Screening Process
It is very important that an adequate application and screening process exist for the mentoring program. This process serves as a safety precaution for the potential mentor and mentee, as well as the mentoring program.
II. Eligibility Screening
- A thorough application process for a mentor applicant should not only include the application, but a screening process as well. The following screenings should be done with all mentor/volunteer applicants.
- Detailed mentor screening checklist
III. Suitability Criteria
- Other items may need to be considered in selecting a potential mentor applicant.
- These are often related to the program’s statement of purpose and needs of the target population:
- Skills identification
- Language and racial requirements
- Level of education
- Career interests
- Motivation for volunteering
- Academic standing
IV. Completing the Screening
- A face-to-face visit between program staff and mentor applicant, followed by a home visit when applicable.
- Successful completion of pre-match training and orientation.
JUMP Training Manual – National Mentoring Center
Screening Mentors (Module 2) – Free